Sunday, February 7, 2010

Heart Healthy... with Chocolate? - A Rare Post By Leal

Did you know that February is Heart Health month? This wasn't something I was aware of until just recently.

Being a hypoglycemic with hyper-metabolism, and still in my youth, I don't usually think of these things too often. At least not how they apply to me personally. But when I heard that it was Heart Health month, I started to become curious.

What if this was something I did have to watch? What kind of sacrifices would I have to make? For absolute sure, McDonald's and pizza would have to go. I have no doubt these indulgences are at the top of a very long list.

What interested me most, though, is the number of things
that didn't necessarily have to be cut out of your diet IF ate in moderation.

No, moderation does
not mean cutting down from a pound of bacon with breakfast to 1/4 pound of bacon. It means cutting down to one or two pieces of bacon instead of the entire package. So make sure when you moderate, you do it to your doctor's recommendations instead of your own personal scale of measurements.

One of the things I learned wouldn't necessarily need to be cut out is chocolate. And for me, that's a HUGE relief to my possible 20-or-30-years-in-the-future happiness. I have a major sweet tooth and chocolate is my absolute favorite.

According to the Cleveland Clinic Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute, a moderate amount of chocolate can be a benefit to your cardiovascular heath instead of a detriment to it. If you're interested in the article where I found this information, you can find it here.

As a personal connoisseur of chocolate, this is terrific news! I'm especially a fan of the chocolate and fudge from Aunt Billies. They make a wide variety of different chocolate treats as well as other candies (their peanut brittle is to die for) and they also offer many of their bests in sugar free as well. In fact, I can honestly say I've never tasted sugar free quite as good as theirs.

IF YOU'D LIKE TO CHECK OUT AUNT BILLIES WEBSITE AND BROWSE, BE SURE TO CLICK ON ANY OF THE PICTURES ABOVE TO BE DIRECTED TO THEIR SITE OR, IF YOU PREFER, CLICK RIGHT HERE.

6 comments:

Babamoon said...

It's always good to have a proactive approach to what you eat. or generally when it comes to showing yourself some love. Mindfulness all the way! :)

SARAH said...

Yaaay for chocolate! It has so many lovely benefits. Did you know that chocolate affects women's brains differently than men's? Also that it releases close to the same amount of seretonin as an orgasm? I've also read that it can actually help fight cavities!

I heart chocolate. Especially dark, dark, dark chocolate :D

storybeader said...

sounds like a good idea for anyone! thanks! {:-D

Michelle Christina said...

great post! ^^ dark chocolate is actually best for you - it's packed with antioxidants!

Sarah Ranes said...

Good news, I am a total chocoholic!

foxygknits said...

Thanks so much for participating in the Blog Carnival. You have a wonderful attitude and a great way of expressing yourself! I think that you can have a great impact on young people who need to learn what you already know!

Post a Comment

Our Followers on Facebook


Quotes

"Creative activity could be described as a type of learning process where teacher and pupil are located in the same individual." - Arthur Koestle

Archive

Other Blogs to Check Out



Thrifty and Chic Mom

Adgitize your web site.
 

The Meandering Musings... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Blog Design by Simply Fabulous